5 days/ 4 nights
The magic happens when you step out of your comfort zone at home and start a journey in Georgia, especially in Kutaisi and Svaneti. “Kutaisians” are known for their sense of humor. If you want to stay in a good mood for the rest of your arrival in Georgia, you must visit the city. You can’t also leave Georgia without seeing its beautiful and glorious mountainous area – Svaneti. This picturesque scene will leave you amazed and full of positive emotions. Don’t miss this rare chance!
• Bagrati Cathedral
• Gelati Academy
• Motsameta Monastery
• Arrive at Kutaisi International Airport. Meet your guide and drive to Kutaisi. Check-in a hotel on arrival. ‘Kutaisians’ are known for their sense of humor. If you want to stay in a good mood for the rest of your visit in Georgia, you must see the city. After a short rest, we will start city sightseeing in Kutaisi, which, according to a legend, was the ultimate destination of Jason and Argonauts searching for the Golden Fleece. We will visit Bagrati Cathedral (11th century), one of the best samples of medieval architecture towering over Kutaisi and visible from almost all points in the city.
• Next stop is the Gelati Academy, built by King David the Builder in the 12th century. Gelati was the center of spiritual and scientific life of the Middle Ages, the tomb of Georgian kings and a cult place for pilgrims. It is under UNESCO protection as an object of cultural and historical legacy.
• We will continue our way to Motsameta - a quiet Monastery buried in the heart of mountains, forests and rivers from where opens a heavenly view of mountains and the gorge of the river Tskhaltsitela. Finally, we will drive back to Kutaisi to overnight at the hotel.
• Prometheus Cave
• Mestia Ethnographic Museum
• After breakfast in the morning, you will check out from the hotel and we will drive to Prometheus Cave, which is located near the Georgian town Tskaltubo surrounded by a long landscape area. The cave is one of the most tourist attractions in Georgia. It is a unique experience to feel the underground atmosphere in all its glory and colors. Tourists can choose between walking tour and the boat ride along the underground river. Visitors are amazed with breathtaking views of stalactites, stalagmites, underground rivers and lakes of the cave.
• In the afternoon, we will drive to mysterious Svaneti, passing through the Enguri gorge. This region is the birthplace of the Svans, a unique ethnic group, who are distinguished by their amazing old culture and traditions. Svaneti is also famous for its original architecture of towers. Those towers used to play an important economic and defensive role in the history of Svaneti. There are still dozens of the towers – stone houses from the Middle Ages with fire watchtowers and churches from the 10-14th centuries.
• In the evening, we will visit the Mestia Ethnographic Museum with an original Svan house “Machubi” and “Koshki” tower. Overnight at a hotel in Mestia.
• Ushguli architectural complex
• Lamaria Church complex
• After a hotel breakfast, we will drive to Ushguli village, the highest standing settlement in Europe (2200 m). Ushguli architectural complex is a valuable architectural and historical monument, included in the UNESCO World Heritage List for its exclusiveness. Spend time in Ushguli strolling through the old narrow streets.
• Visit Lamaria Church complex, with impressive 12th century mural paintings. Locals believe that Queen Tamar was buried under this church. Enjoy picturesque view of the Mount Shkhara. Return to Mestia. Overnight at the hotel.
• Dadiani Palaces Historical and Architectural Museum
We will drive back to Kutaisi after breakfast and checking out from the hotel. On the way, we will stop in Zugdidi - the regional center of two united historical areas of Georgia – Samegrelo and Svaneti. Here we will visit Dadiani Palaces Historical and Architectural Museum, one of the most important palaces in the Caucasus region. We will continue driving to Kutaisi. Check in a hotel. Overnight at the hotel.
Transfer to Kutaisi International Airport.
Thoughtful thoughts to your inbox